Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Introduction

Hello! My name is Steven James Rajavuori and I'm running for Lakeville City Council.

I've loved being a part of the Lakeville community ever since my parents moved our family here in 1977. Lakeville was a much different place back then, and I felt as though I had moved to the country! I loved participating in sports (cross-country, cross-country skiing and golf) and music (trombone in marching band and jazz band, and choir) during my years at Lakeville High School (class of 1981).

In my adult years I have felt privileged to raise our family of four children in such a wonderful place. Our kids spent some of their happiest times playing at the North Park playground and participating in Lakeville sports. They have benefited greatly from the top-notch Lakeville school system and from our amazing Lakeville church.

I care deeply about this city. I've spent most of my life here and seen my kids grow up here. My church is here and my office is here. I want to see this community continue to thrive and grow to become an even better place to live for future generations.

That's why I've decided to run for City Council. I believe at this stage of growth Lakeville faces some significant challenges that need a fresh look and new ideas. I want to be a part of finding the best solutions to issues such as:
  • Shortage of consumer retail and restaurant development
  • Aging roads and parks need increased maintenance
  • Need for new parks and open spaces as housing develops
  • Maintaining a low tax base
  • Poor utilization and development of Lakeville's four major freeway exits
  • Attract new businesses to continue filling available space in Airlake Industrial Park
  • Affordable housing


We can be proud of our great city, and its leaders and citizens. Through much planning and care Lakeville has grown to be one of the best places to live in the Twin Cities. But there is still much growing to do. We need to look carefully at how to best use the remaining available land, and how to encourage development of the types of businesses and services that our residents need.

In future posts I'll share some of my ideas for growth with you, and I invite you to share your comments as well:

Facebook:   www.facebook.com/SJRLakeville

Twitter: @SJRLakeville

Email:  sjr.lakeville@gmail.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment